Sunday, March 24, 2013

What a Week!

This week was incredibly busy! With only eight weeks of school left, there is a lot going on. We had parent teacher conferences, a community night at the school, our union meeting to prepare for negotiations, and preparing for testing coming up in just a few short weeks.

How do I deal with all of these things, you may ask? Well, it's quite simple. I do one of three things:
The biscuits I made last week. They are all gone now.

1) I try to cook. The reason try is included in that statement is because I'm a horrible cook. I've been getting mildly better as my time out here, living on my own, surviving on what food I'm able to prepare for myself, has gone on. I made biscuits at the end of last week. They tasted good, but were very small compared to what I had planned on.

Beads for our earring making
This is a perfect example of the earring i was trying to make
2) I do crafts. I've been trying to teach myself for a few weeks how to knit and I've finally got the idea. That doesn't mean I'm very good at it, though. Also, my friend showed me how to make some lovely earrings. I don't have any supplies as of right now to make them, but it was a lot of fun and I'm planning on trying to make some more. The earring I made wasn't nearly as good as the one that my friend made, but I think with some more practice I'll get better.

My earrings, I made the one on the right
3) Yoga. One of the other teachers got me involved with yoga. I never realized how much of a workout it can be. We usually start off our yoga meetings with a time of venting about school. These are the only times during the week that we might have a chance to get some of this off of our chest with people who actually know what we are going through. Then we actually do yoga, which is really a lot more fun than I thought. My kids like to look at me and laugh when they see that I'm going to yoga, but then when I show them yoga moves in class, they are impressed.


The beginning of my scarf project. Finished project pictures to come
Soon my snow machine that I bought last week will be fixed and I will have a fourth activity I can do after a crazy busy week at school. In the lower 48 a teacher may relax by going to a movie or shopping. But that isn't as easy out here as it is in those places. These are the ways I have solved my problem of needing to do something that doesn't take too much concentration and that I can do as I want. In two weeks we have testing so this week at school will be a lot of preparation for that. I hope you all have a wonderful week and if you do happen to have other ideas of activities, please let me know what they are!

1 comment:

  1. glad to hear you are figuring out the knitting - I find that crafts and exercise are two of the best things to do in your spare time.

    ReplyDelete