Sunday, March 17, 2013

Happy St. Patrick's Day in the Village

Cute little sled used to bring a child to the post office

Warming up

Learning how to bat
Well this week had lots of sunshine and good times out here in the village!! It was the last week of the quarter, so my kids got a lot of work done at school. However, outside of school was all fun and games.

This week I bought a snow machine from one of the other teacher's who is leaving. She sold it to me for a really good price. I'm going to have to improve my upper body strength, though, because to start it, you have to pull a choke. Let's face the facts, I have weeny arms! Even so, I'm sure friends will be willing to help me start it and learn how to drive it as well.

On Friday, one of the teacher's celebrated her 30th birthday! We all got together and ate cake and had a fabulous time. Her husband and another male teacher put the candles on her cake for her. After she blew them all out, she found out that they put 51 candles on it! Ah, the sources of entertainment we can find out here in the village.

We also had a fun day playing in the sun. One of the married couples received wiffle balls and a bat, so we set up a field in our little courtyard between all the teacher housing area. Everyone came out to play, including two of the children who hadn't ever played before. It was a lot of fun. We didn't keep score or anything, just a fun day playing outside in the beautiful sunshine.

One more quarter and then this school year will be over!! It sure has flown by!! I can't believe my first year of teaching is coming to an end. I've learned so much from my amazing group of students, from the teachers in my village, and from the culture I live in now. I've also become more confident in my abilities as a teacher. I'm more sure of myself and what I can do. It has been an amazing experience and a great year.

Our cheering section
Contracts were due on Friday and I had turned mine in. This means another year of living in the  good old white north. There will be some changes, though. For instance, instead of teaching seventh grade, I will be teaching kindergarten or first grade. It's quite a big leap. There are also many other changes going on in our school district next year. I'm excited to be a part of it all. Thank you everyone for your continued support and prayer. Hope you enjoy the rest of the pictures in this week's update!


Running the bases with a baby on her hip :)

Daddy helping bat and run the bases
My new ride!!

3 comments:

  1. thanks for sharing all the wonderful pictures and what you are doing up there in the cold north. Had to laugh at the weeny arms - hey I think almost all of us girls in the family have weeny arms!! join the club - Marlow gals weeny arms. :)
    That is going to be quite a switch from 7th grade teaching to little ones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always known that the first years of school for little ones are so important.Your attitude and love for our Lord will guide you,what a blessing you will be for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on signing for another year of teaching in Alaska! I'm looking forward to continue hearing all about your adventures. ;)

    ReplyDelete