Sunday, March 30, 2014

Working Hard or Hardly Working?

Well the month of March has just flown by!! I can't believe April starts next week. With April comes testing, Natural Helper retreat, and the process of moving. That's right, folks, the new school we were supposed to move into at the beginning of this present school year is just about ready to be moved into. It isn't official or anything. We still haven't been told that we will move, but there are whispers through the ranks that the day is coming when they tell us to pack it all up and be ready for a longer walk to work.
Tattoos and bracelets for St. Patrick's Day
I don't have much to report on the school front, except that we had a fun celebration of St. Patrick's Day. I normally don't get that excited about holidays, but for some reason this year, it sounded like a blast! We got tattoos, heard a story about a leprechaun, learned the history of St. Patrick's day, and made Shamrock bracelets. The kids seemed to really enjoy it, and I know I did!

Playing some Wahoo with friends.
Even though not much happened on the school front this past month, but I did accomplish quite a few things in my spare time like game nights with coworkers, learning to make coffee cozies, and making myself a quspaq to wear for the Natural Helpers' Retreat at the end of this coming month.

Some of the other teachers and I have started having a few game nights. It's a lot of fun. We've been doing a sort of tournament style Wahoo series. Each week we get a different partner and keep track of how many wins we have each week. I have the lowest count of wins, but it isn't really about who wins or loses to me, it's about the quality time spent with friends. Most people don't build strong relationships with their coworkers, but out here it is kind of necessary to survive and these game nights help a lot. Wahoo is sort of a mix of Sorry and Farkle in my opinion. It's a fun game, I would recommend anyone to play.

The first three coffee cozies I made
I also began making coffee cozies. My first one was the hardest, not only because I was learning something different, but because it had buttons and I had to sew them on plus knit button holes for it, but it turned out alright. I also made some with no buttons. The ones with buttons are good for your own mugs that you have at home, the others I thought would be good for say if you go to Starbucks and want to use your own cozy. I know that I don't really need that many of them, but honestly, I need something to help past the time every now and then, and I think being able to knit is a good skill to have. I wonder how many I can make by the end of the school year... we shall see :)

Learning the correct process of cutting material for making a quspaq
The very first quspaq I made :) Turned out swell!
Lastly, I made a quspaq this weekend. In case I haven't said this before, a quspaq is a fancy shirt type deal that people wear on fancy occasions. Since I am the Natural Helper sponsor, part of my responsibility was to make sure all the students had a matching quspaq. We ordered material (WAY more than we actually needed seeing as how I had no idea how much we needed!) Then, one of the school secretaries showed us the proper way to set up the material to cut it for our quspaq. It was really nice of her, because she has been very busy as of late. Anyway, I took the material home and asked my roommate for help. She made me a quspaq for Christmas, so I knew she would know how to make it. We spent all day yesterday cutting and sewing and hemming and I finally finished about six hours later. Although the hood isn't quite right and I had to redo a few parts, it turned out really well for one of the biggest projects I've done. I'm very excited to show it off at the retreat. 

I didn't have much to write about work at the school. But I think I did a lot of work in my personal time this month. Now I know that even when things may seem slow, I have some good friends to play games with and a few projects that can make the time pass a lot faster than they would otherwise. 

1 comment:

  1. love that you have learned how to knit and doing some sewing too - are you staying a third year? you should learn how to knit socks! nice heavy wool socks

    ReplyDelete