Sunday, February 17, 2013

The Beauty of Snow Drifts

I don't have an awful lot to post about this week, even though it was a holiday. But the three main things I would like to tell you about are Valentine's Day, power and water outages, and snow drifts.

Gifts from all my family members
Valentine's Day has always been my least favorite holiday. I don't think it makes sense to devote one day to love. If you truly love someone it should be every day. This hallmark holiday is just something I see as a day to force couples to be romantic and make single people feel sorry for themselves. My students saw it as an opportunity for a party. My coworkers and I celebrated with dinner at the cafe. I also received gifts from  my parents and grandparents. I still don't love the holiday, but I truly love my students, my coworkers, and my parents.

Happy Valentine's Day- Heart made out of candy by one of the teachers.
Another thing we dealt with a lot this week were power outages and water outages. In fact, on Thursday we had to let the students out early because of not having water. It never fails that when I'm told the water or sewer is out in the village, I have to go to the bathroom immediately. Fortunately for me, so far, the water hasn't ever gone out for a very long time. But we did have our longest bout of power outages this weekend. The power was out for almost an hour on Saturday morning. My roommate had walked to pick up buckets for her potlatch dance from the store and had to wait around for nearly an hour before she was able to head back with her purchase. Hopefully, as spring comes along, we will have less and less of these outages.
Lovely drift outside of our assistant principal and counselor's house.

Lastly, I wanted to talk about how much I love the way the snow forms snow drifts out here. It makes me laugh to walk in the village and see one spot with tons of snow right next to a bare space. The houses are the worst. It piles up right next to them. Of course, we can have loads of fun with that. I haven't done much playing in the snow, but I feel as though snow drifts are the best to play in.

This week was semi eventful. I'm still really looking forward to next weekend when we will have our village potlatch. Pictures will be plentiful! May the Lord bless you and keep you over the next week!

1 comment:

  1. holidays have become so commercialize that you either love them or hate them.
    sorry about the power outages and problems with the water too - always hate it when that happens.
    Hope everything else is going well with you!

    ReplyDelete