Sunday, January 20, 2013

The Wonderful Life of a Teacher in the Village

I think that is a great title for a book about my experiences here. Well, not much to tell about this week, it wasn't very eventful.

I wanted a picture of the snow so clean and soft...
of course, it would have been helpful if the sun was up
We had parent teacher conferences for the second time in my career. I had seventy percent of my parents show up, which means Woo Hoo! I had two great experiences with that this time:

1)One of the parents of my student is a really sweet lady. She is very kind hearted and everyone loves her. She spent an hour in my room telling me stories about her family and life, it was great! She also invited me to come to a sauna with her some time. She told me the Yup'ik word for it, but I don't remember how to say it. She also invited me to her house sometime to make authentic Yup'ik earrings and pins and things. I'm excited to take her up on the offer, but she is in Anchorage for the next few weeks.

A protective barrier during breakfast
 making on Saturday morning
2)Another parent I interacted with was such a great parent! He wanted to know everything about how his child was behaving as well as performing in my class and what he could do to help the student do the best that he could. I loved getting to talk to him because this is a student who really struggles with math and is smart, but just needs a little extra time on his work. The parent was understanding and so involved in his child's life. I loved seeing a parent that devoted to their child.
Our amazingly delicious beef stew



This weekend we had a grand ole time making beef stew pretty much from scratch. It was delicious! The other teachers and I ate dinner, watched a bit of television and just talked. It was so very nice and fun. I love my village. I love my life. Hope you enjoyed reading, and sorry it wasn't very interesting this week!

1 comment:

  1. we all have ordinary weeks in our life's don't we - I'm glad to hear that two parents came to find out how their child is doing that is better than none!

    ReplyDelete