Sunday, August 26, 2012

Getting Settled in Alakanuk

Welcome to Miss Culea's classroom!

Well I've been living here for two full weeks, I had my first two days of classes and my first Eskimo dance to celebrate someone's life, and I've made so many new and interesting friends. It feels so natural being here, like this is where I belong. Like this is the place I'm supposed to be. I can't help but thank the Lord on this beautiful morning for all that he has given me. I have a wonderfully cute little house. I have a great roommate. My students are amazing. The other teachers and staff have been more helpful than I could ever have imagined. For a while before I came out here I wondered if this was really what God had in store for me. After two weeks, I'm 100% sure, this is exactly where he wants me to be!

I do miss my family. It is hard knowing that I can't just decide to go home for the weekend. I hate missing out on my baby sister's first year playing competitive basketball. It is weird to not get to see granny anytime I feel like it. Phone calls are great, mail is wonderful, but it doesn't take away the sadness of not seeing their faces whenever I want.

Holly and I outside the cafe
Our first two days of school went by so well. I was expecting to go into the classroom and be this mean, tough, no nonsense teacher, but I didn't have to be like that at all! The kids in my class had their previous teacher for three years straight and she basically trained them. I haven't had any discipline problems with them... yet! lol

After our first day of school seven of us teachers went to the cafe in our town. It is a small two table restaurant that serves some amazing food. I had a chicken bacon ranch sandwich. Yum! There are only two villages out here with cafes, so while we were there a few teachers from other villages showed up. They had driven their boats down here just to get some yummy food. We had a great time talking and laughing and just blowing off steam after a hard day of teaching. The woman who owns the cafe is actually Filipino. I thought that was interesting. Even though it cost almost $20 for just me to eat, the prices seemed just right out here in this village. I plan on visiting the cafe more and more as the year goes on for the fantastic food and fellowship with other teachers.

All ready for the kiddos :)
We had our first Eskimo dance last night. It was for a member of the village who passed away a few days ago. We danced and giggled and had a wonderful time celebrating the life that she had lived. I met some of my students' parents. One little boy sat by me the entire time and he played with my hair. It looked lovely, haha. He laid his head in my lap and listened to the ringtones on my phone. Looking down at him falling asleep I realized just how much I am falling in love with this village. The people, the children, the culture, it is all so amazing.

I know that two weeks is a very short time. But it feels like it has been so much longer than that here. It feels like home. This place is where I want to be. It is where I am meant to be. God has a plan for everyone and right now, this is His plan for me. Your continued prayers are appreciated. Next time I post, I will put some pictures of the Eskimo dance on. Have a blessed day, readers!


3 comments:

  1. thanks for sharing through your blog Culea, I will love keeping up with you and seeing the photos and your stories of what you are doing.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd really appreciate if you share a link to other sources dedicated to this subject in case you happen to know any.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well here are the other blogs from other teachers out here, hopefully that is what you are looking for:

    http://nathanielandhollyrogers.blogspot.com/


    http://janaalaska.blogspot.com/

    http://sammyjotakesalaska.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete